Tuesday, January 23, 2024

My Personal Reading Profile

 My Personal Reading Profile

I always love to read.  Unfortunately, my grandmother was anti-reading, and I got grounded a lot for buying books.  I felt like Matilda but without a library.  But it was worth getting grounded for books! Due to this, I would read anything I could get my hands on.  It didn’t matter what.  I grew up before the internet, so I would read the back of the cereal box and be happy. 

I grew into the reader I am today.  I wouldn’t say I was a prolific reader, but I could read a book in a day if I wanted and had to.   Because of work and school, I don’t read as much as I want to.  But it does give me an incentive to end a book when I am not enjoying it. Why waste my time on a book I don’t like when there are so many other choices? However, my reading has suffered a bit due to school and work, and my to-read pile is growing out of control. 

When I do read, I enjoy Mysteries.  I am fascinated with “And Then There Were None” by Agatha Christie and have read books similar to locked-room plots. And just for fun, I like humorous and cozy mysteries.  I enjoy Thrillers and Suspense books.  I like the quick action pace that James Patterson puts in his books.  If I have a favorite, it is the Alex Cross Series.  I also love Vampire Novels.  I fell in love with the genre when “Interview with the Vampire” by Anne Rice.  While not my favorite, the glittering vampires have a place in my heart.  When the Twilight series was popular, I made a booklist for Vampire Literature, and when my coworkers were stuck, they would ask me for a reader’s advisory on vampires.   Since many vampire fiction is young adult fiction, I grew to love the young adult genre.  One area I am particularly interested in is dystopian fiction.  At the end of the world, as we know it, I find it compelling whether an underdog can save the world.  I love horror.  I like slashers in particular.  I liked the movie Scream, so I look out for other books that are similar to it.

What do I not like?  I don’t like overly gushy romance novels.  It's just not my style.  I don’t mind book romance, but I don’t like bodice busters. Another genre I don’t like is Historical Fiction.  It is just not my cup of tea.  But I am waiting for a book that might change my mind.  Lastly, I don’t like Westerns too much, either. 

   

Top 10 Favorite Books and Series

·        Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

·        Stand by Stephen King

·        School of Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

·        House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune.

·        Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead

·        House of Night by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

·        Morganville Vampire Series by Rachelle Caine

·        Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich

·        Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix

·        The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Grounded for buying books! So sorry that happened, but I'm glad you're still a reader! Fantastic reading profile!

    ReplyDelete

  Prompt: Marketing your Fiction Collection   There are several ways to market a fiction collection for your library. A primary tool we ...