Saturday, February 10, 2024

Week 5 Prompt

Week 5 Prompt:  Different Types of Reviews                                                                                      

I’m not sure if I would order The Billionaire’s First Christmas.  I noticed both the Amazon Review and Blog Review are positive.  The Amazon Review found the book to be a beautiful, clean Christmas romance, so a patron did enjoy it. I was looking at the Blog Review. It seems like a free book, so I wonder if that affected its popularity.  I wondered if it was still free, but I couldn’t find it on Amazon now.  I did look for a professional book review, and I didn’t see one.  I did look on Goodreads, and most complaints were about writing mistakes in such a short book, and many people did not finish it.  Based on the Goodreads opinions, I wouldn’t buy it unless it was a free eBook.    


    While the Kirkus Review of Angela’s Ashes was harsh over McCourt's life, I would order it. One reason is that the book is very popular.  The last line of all five reviews discusses how remarkable this book is, and that is a book I would want in my collection.  I thought it was interesting to see the difference between the reviews.  Kirkus Review is critical of how tame and tepid the School Library Journal Review is.  I understand it was for children, but it is starkly different.  Library Journal and Booklist Review are less critical than the Kirkus Review.  


I don’t find it fair that one book will get many reviews and some get little or no coverage.  I think having all the available information when ordering a book is essential.  I order for the non-fiction section of my library, and if a book doesn’t get reviewed, it flies under my radar and won’t be ordered.  I would miss all these great books patrons could love reading by not putting them in the library's collection.  I use reviews all the time when I order books.   I like the negative reviews because I want the truth about a book. I feel not every book is three to four stars.

   I check numerous review books when I order.  Publishers Weekly is my favorite, and I love Booklist, for example. When ordering, I try to find the best of the best books to put in the collection. But I don’t just order books for the library.  I like reviews when looking for a book in my reading, too.   I check Goodreads when I look for books, Amazon reviews, and Barnes and Noble.   Sometimes, that fails, though.  I picked a Romance book for this class that had good reviews on Amazon but didn’t look at Goodreads.  There were a lot of people who did not finish the book, even though it had three and a half stars.  I didn’t think it would be a good pick for someone who doesn’t like Romance.  Sometimes, I find books by searching the internet from Facebook groups and googling the best books of the year by genre.  I find good books by listening to co-workers and posting Staff Reads on Facebook.     


1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm glad you pointed out how it was a free ebook at first. It's interesting that you can't find it now. Maybe it wasn't getting enough downloads, so the platform took it down, which would be sad if it was true since it did not get enough reviews in the first place. I like what you said about reading negative reviews alongside the good ones. I like to read negative reviews, too, because they are oftentimes more helpful than good reviews at deciding whether I'll like it or not because they tend to be more critical.

    ReplyDelete

  Prompt: Marketing your Fiction Collection   There are several ways to market a fiction collection for your library. A primary tool we ...