Saturday, April 6, 2024

Prompt #13



    I remember when Harry Potter was very popular, and people hid the covers so no one would

 know that they were reading a children’s book by an adult. I know people complain that 

graphic novels are just comic books. However, I firmly believe that you should read what you 

Enjoy and do not worry about what other people think of your reading selections.  Personally, 

love young adult books, and I am over 50.  If anyone criticized my reading taste, I wouldn’t 

listen to them.   I haven’t read much New Adult, but it is an option for someone tired of teen 

angst and has a more mature romance.   I love young adult books because they get me out of 

a reading slump from school.  It is hard after reading for school to transfer to reading for 

myself.  The Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros was the book that got me out of the slump. The 

fast-paced and appealing characters grab my attention like no other.   Reading A Court of 

Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas for class also helped, and I can’t wait to read the rest of 

the series to see the change from the young adult genre to the romance genre.   As a 

librarian, I would never dismiss someone’s choice of reading materials, whether young adult, 

new adult, graphic novels, or romance.  If a librarian criticizes someone's reading choices, 

they should reevaluate their profession.     

           One way I would promote young adult books, new adult books, or graphic novels is to include them in a display with adult books by subject. For example, the graphic novel Maus and other non-fiction books about the Holocaust. When giving book recommendations, I would include both young adult and new adult graphic novels with their suggestions. 

          I wonder if it would help to remove young adult or graphic novels from Children’s 

Section.   Adults might feel angst about visiting the children’s section to find a book. If they are 

are concerned about reading a book for a young adult, it might help adults become more 

comfortable with their book choices.  When patrons come to the Reference Desk, they get 

put off if I send them to the children’s section to find a book, swearing that it is in the adult 

Section.       

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Prompt: Marketing your Fiction Collection   There are several ways to market a fiction collection for your library. A primary tool we ...